I love watching videos just about as much as I love creating them (if you haven’t checked it out already, stop by Startup Videos, they post some of the best explainer videos around). They’re fun to watch, they keep me engaged, and a lot of times, they make me laugh. And what’s even better, online video has clear business benefits that have been proven time after time. Hard not to be passionate about something like that!
Here is a collection of video stats to help prove my point. I know they’re just numbers, but hopefully it helps you start to understand how truly valuable video can be for your business. It’s not just about a cute cartoon or hopping on the “explainer video” bandwagon, it’s about spending money on a marketing initiative that has a real, measurable return on investment.
Video and Conversion Rates
- Video now appears in 70% of the top 100 search results listings
- Visitors who view product videos are 85% more likely to buy than visitors who do not. (Internet Retailer, April 2010)
- With proper optimization, video increases the chance of a front-page Google result by 53x. (Forrester, January 2010)
- Mediapost reports that product videos play a key role in consumer purchase decisions, citing a 9x increase in retail video views at the start of the 2011 holiday season. (MediaPost, January 2012)
- Internet Retailer reports that shoppers who viewed video on Stacks and Stacks product pages were 144% more likely to add to cart than other shoppers. (Internet Retailer, March 2011).
- Online retailer Living Direct found that videos boosted conversion as well as increasing time on site by 9%. (Internet Retailer, October 2010).
Video and Email
- Video in email marketing has been shown to increase click-through rates by over 96%. In response, the number of marketers planning to use video in email campaigns has increased 5x since the beginning of 2009. (Implix 2010 Email Marketing Trends Survey)
- A recent study by Forrester showed that video increased email click-through rates 2x-3x.(Forrester, 2010)
- In tests, marketing automation provider Eloqua found that video in an introductory email campaign led to a 75% reduction in subscriber opt-outs. (Eloqua, 2010)
- In one campaign including video in an email campaign drove a 51% increase in subscriber-to-lead conversion. (Blue Sky Factory Webinar, 2010)